Search This Blog

Monday, March 13, 2017

Week 8

Week 8: February 27, 2017 - March 5, 2017
Number of Shows: 6
Location: Duluth, GA

            My four days off started with sleeping in until about noon and then lounging around the train listening to podcasts and audio books. I was having some problems with my wireless hotspot, so later in the afternoon I walked two miles over to the Verizon store, stopping at Waffle House along the way.

 After finding out I just needed to buy I new power cord for the hotspot, I decided I would do some more exploring the area. I walked another three miles to a quaint shopping center full of overpriced stores that didn't really sell much of anything. There was, however, a nice artisanal ice cream shop where I enjoyed strong Madagascar vanilla and spicy cayenne pepper chocolate ice cream. By the time I was done exploring it was too dark to walk all the way back to the train, so I took an Uber instead.


            I spent Tuesday reading and writing, and didn't leave the train. I'm currently working a new card trick entitled "The World's Most Offensive Card Trick," and made some great progress. At night I went to a Carnaval party thrown by some of the Brazilian dancers, complete with food, karaoke, strobe lights, and dancing.
            On Wednesday I walked two miles to the nearest Kroger's to pick up some produce, and then did laundry back at the train. At night I went to go see The Lego Batman Movie with some friends. The movie exceeded my expectations, and was the perfect balance of corny and heart. All around a really enjoyable film.
            Thursday, our last day off, was spent entirely at the train. In the evening I used my George Foreman grill and made grilled chicken with zucchini and tomato salad with pasta. I also made a brownie in a mug in the microwave, which was a big thrill. When I was in eighth grade I began experimenting with cooking in the microwave in anticipation of this job, so it was a pretty cool feeling to actually be making the recipes I had been practicing years early ON the circus train. I also received a copy of the Hofstra Chronicle, featuring an interview I recently did. Thanks Hofstra!


            Friday was back to work, and we started with a split show day. The company threw us a barbeque in between shows, featuring sirloins, chicken breasts, pork sausages, macaroni salad, potato salad, and an assortment of cookies. Everything was prepared by Pie Car and was extremely good. Both shows were very well attended and had extremely responsive crowds.
            Saturday was a two show day, although it felt like a three show day because of the hour long commutes to and from the arena. This was our last two show Saturday of the tour, as the rest of them will be three show days. Both shows were sold out, and the crowds were particularly loud, which is always nice. After the shows I bolted across the street to the supermarket to pick up some meat for the clown barbeque that night at the train before catching the bus back.

            Sunday was another two show day, both with particularly crowded preshows. After the shows I went back to the train and decided to go straight to bed. Next stop: Cincinnati!

No comments:

Post a Comment