Search This Blog

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Week 6

Week 6: February 13, 2017 - February 20, 2017
Number of Shows: 12
Location: Atlanta, GA

            We had a very short train run from Greensboro to Atlanta and were spotted early Tuesday morning. I didn't have to be at the arena for load-in on Tuesday until late afternoon so I decided to spend the morning at the Center for Puppetry Arts. This is my second time visiting the museum, by in between visits they underwent major renovations and added an entire Jim Henson wing. I've seen some of the Henson puppets before at the Museum of the Moving Image and the New York Public Library for Performing Arts, but this was the largest collection of Muppets I have ever seen at once. I spent about two hours at the small museum, taking hundreds of photos of the Muppets from every possible angle. I am a puppet builder back home, so whenever I get to see the Muppets up close I always try to take in every detail and understand every technique that the builders used.




After the museum I walked a few miles for lunch at an outdoor shopping center, and then headed back to the train to be picked up for load-in.
            This week we played the Philips Arena, which is attached to the CNN Center. The CNN Center has a very big food court, and you could always spot Ringling people eating there in between and after shows.

            Wednesday was opening night, and we had a nearly sold out crowd. I took the first bus back after the show because I had an early morning PR the next day and needed to wake up extra early.
            Thursday's early morning PR went very well. All of the news anchors were excited to be there and seemed to have a really good time. We taught one anchor how to juggle scarves, passed clubs around another, and just acted like all around idiots. I got to juggle on the pogo stick a lot, which is always fun.
            After the PR I got out makeup and costume and walked over to the World of Coca-Cola, where I sampled every Coke product sold around the world. Not my smartest idea, with all of the liquid jumping around my stomach during the show that night. 

John Kennedy Kane, better known as Eggroll, was also at the show that night. Eggroll was the last ringmaster of the Big Apple Circus, and I first met him back in fall 2012 when I was the guest ringmaster at the Big Apple Circus' Legendarium. We chatted briefly before I had to head out to do the show.
            Friday was a split show day, and after the first show the arena surprised us with cake.

In between shows I had an interview with Newsday which should be published in the coming weeks. Afterwards the clowns had a brief rehearsal to make some minor changes to one of our gags, and then I went to reapply my makeup.
            My best friend from middle school, Alex, came to the show Friday night. Alex goes to school in Atlanta, so he was right nearby. I showed him around backstage before the show and then afterwards we went and hung out at a diner for a few hours. Alex loved the show, and we had a great time just shooting the breeze.

            Saturday began our six pack. Three shows Saturday and then three more on Saturday. The shows were all sold out, and were exhausting. I have nothing else to say about the six pack, and have very little recollection of what actually happened.
            Monday we had two shows. Usually we don't do shows on Monday, but we had them this week because it was Presidents' Day. Both shows went really well and the crowds were extremely energetic. After the shows ended I walked over to the Georgia Aquarium but didn't stay too long because I was literally falling asleep while I was reading the informational signs.


I went back to the train, took a nap, and then went over to the clown barbeque. See you next week.

           


No comments:

Post a Comment