Search This Blog

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Week 7

Week 7: February 21, 2017 - February 26, 2017
Number of Shows: 6
Location: Duluth, GA

            We are staying in the same Atlanta train yard for our two weeks of Duluth shows, so I had all of Tuesday off. I was exhausted after our crazy Atlanta schedule the week before, so I hung out at the train all day catching up on sleep, listening to podcasts and writing.
            Wednesday was load-in. I took the hour long bus ride to the arena, set up the trunks in the alley, and then explored the surrounding area. Sugarloaf Mills Mall was only a mile away and because there was nothing to do back at the train, I decided to walk over. After getting Japanese food for lunch and taking a quick lap around the stores I went back to the arena and took the bus back to the train.
            Thursday was opening day, so we had our usual meeting in the seats and ran through a few parts of the show. The show went very well that night, and doing one show felt like a breeze after doing the six pack a few days earlier. After the show I went out through the main exit instead of the performer exit because I was being picked up by my family! My sister had off from school for Presidents' Week so my whole family decided to fly down to Georgia for a few days to visit. My mom, sister, and dog picked me up from the arena and we went to the hotel. We had some sandwiches and started to get ready for bed. My dad was on a later flight because of work and that flight then got delayed, so he didn't arrive at the hotel until 2:30 in the morning.
            The next day my whole family drove to a piano store where I played show tunes and my sister sang. It was really nice to play piano (and a full sized grand piano) after not having played for about two months. We got Chinese food for lunch, and then headed back to the hotel for a bit.
            My family came to the show that night and brought the alley a fruit and vegetable free roll. I got to the arena earlier than call time so I would have time to give my family a backstage tour before the preshow started. The show went extremely well that night, and we were sold out. 
I also received this nice gift from a fan during the preshow!

After the show my family and I went to a Mexican restaurant up the street and then headed back to the hotel.
            Saturday was a two show day, both with great crowds. It was also a big sale day at the show, and there were tables for both girl scout cookies and vintage circus items from a circus collector. I bought stuff from both tables, but I won't say which one I spent more at though.
            After the shows on Saturday there was a memorial service for our former human cannonball, Nadia. I did not know Nadia personally, but have heard countless stories about what a wonderful person and performer she was. The service was extremely respectful, and it was rather touching to see the circus community come together as one at a time of grief.
            Saturday night my family and I went to a great Italian restaurant across the street from the arena before heading back to the hotel and calling it a night.
            My family dropped my off at the arena Sunday morning before heading to the airport. We had two shows that day, both of which were well attended. After the shows I went back to the train for a great clown barbeque. The train isn't going to be moving until next week, which means we have four days off! See you next week after lots of sleep...
           



No comments:

Post a Comment